History Podcasts

Alice Kell

Alice Kell

Alice Kell was born in Preston. She lived on Marsh Lane and attended Hincksman Memorial School with Florrie Redford. As a child she developed a strong interest in football and used to play the game with her brothers.

After leaving school Kell worked for Dick, Kerr & Company factory in Preston. During the First World War the company produced locomotives, cable drums, pontoon bridges, cartridge boxes and munitions. By 1917 it was producing 30,000 shells per week.

The young women used to play football during their dinner-breaks. Alice Norris, one of the young women who worked at the factory later recalled their games: "We used to play at shooting at the cloakroom windows. they were little square windows and if the boys beat us at putting a window through we had to buy them a packet of Woodbines, but if we beat them they had to buy us a bar of Five Boys chocolate."

The young women used to play football during their dinner-breaks. they were little square windows and if the boys beat us at putting a window through we had to buy them a packet of Woodbines, but if we beat them they had to buy us a bar of Five Boys chocolate."

Grace Sibbert eventually emerged as the leader of the women who enjoyed playing football. Alfred Frankland, who worked in the office of the factory, suggested to Grace Sibbert that the women should form a team and play charity matches. Sibbert liked the idea and Frankland agreed to became the manager of the team.

Frankland arranged for the women to play a game on Christmas Day 1917, in aid of the local hospital for wounded soldiers at Moor Park. Frankland persuaded Preston North End to allow the women to play the game at their ground at Deepdale. It was the first football game to be played on the ground since the Football League programme was cancelled soon after the outbreak of the First World War. Over 10,000 people turned up to watch Dick Kerr Ladies beat Arundel Courthard Foundry, 4-0. After paying out the considerable costs of putting on the game, Frankland was able to donote £200 to the hospital (£41,000 in today's money).

Women's football games were extremely popular. For example, a game against Newcastle United Ladies played at St. James's Park, in September, 1919, attracted a crowd of 35,000 people and raised £1,200 (£250,000) for local war charities.

In 1920 Alfred Frankland arranged for the Federation des Societies Feminine Sportives de France to send a team to tour England. Frankland believed that his team was good enough to represent England against a French national team. Four matches were arranged to be played at Preston, Stockport, Manchester and London. The matches were played on behalf of the National Association of Discharged and Disabled Soldiers and Sailors.

A crowd of 25,000 people turned up to the home ground of Preston North End to see the first unofficial international between England and France. England won the game 2-0 with Florrie Redford and Jennie Harris scoring the goals.

The two teams travelled to Stockport by charabanc. This time England won 5-2. The third game was played at Hyde Road, Manchester. Over 12,000 spectators saw France obtain a 1-1 draw. Madame Milliat reported that the first three games had raised £2,766 for the ex-servicemens fund.

The final game took place at Stamford Bridge, the home of Chelsea Football Club. A crowd of 10,000 saw the French Ladies win 2-1. However, the English Ladies had the excuse of playing most of the game with only ten players as Jennie Harris suffered a bad injury soon after the game started. This game caused a stir in the media when the two captains, Alice Kell and Madeline Bracquemond, kissed each other at the end of the match.

On 28th October, 1920. Alfred Frankland took his team to tour France. On Sunday 31st October, 22,000 people watched the two sides draw 1-1 in Paris. However, the game ended five minutes early when a large section of the crowd invaded the pitch after disputing the decision by the French referee to award a corner-kick to the English side. After the game Alice Kell said the French ladies were much better playing on their home ground.

The next game was played in Roubaix. England won 2-0 in front of 16,000 spectators, a record attendance for the ground. Florrie Redford scored both the goals. England won the next game at Havre, 6-0. As with all the games, the visitors placed a wreath in memory of allied soldiers who had been killed during the First World War.

The final game was in Rouen. The English team won 2-0 in front of a crowd of 14,000. When the team arrived back in Preston on 9th November, 1920, they had travelled over 2,000 miles. As captain of the team, Alice Kell made a speech where she said: "If the matches with the French Ladies serve no other purpose, I feel that they will have done more to cement the good feeling between the two nations than anything which has occurred during the last 50 years."

Soon after arriving back in Preston, Alfred Frankland was informed that the local charity for Unemployed Ex- Servicemen was in great need for money to buy food for former soldiers for Christmas. Frankland decided to arrange a game at between Dick Kerr Ladies and a team made up of the rest of England. Deepdale, the home of Preston North End was the venue. To maximize the crowd, it was decided to make it a night game. Permission was granted by the Secretary of State for War, Winston Churchill, for two anti-aircraft searchlights, generation equipment and forty carbide flares, to be used to floodlight the game.

Over 12,000 people came to watch the match that took place on 16th December, 1920. It was also filmed by Pathe News. Bob Holmes, a member of the Preston team that won the first Football League title in 1888-89, had the responsibility of providing whitewashed balls at regular intervals. Although one of the searchlights went out briefly on two occasions, the players coped well with the conditions. Dick Kerr Ladies showed they were the best woman's team in England by winning 4-0. Jennie Harris scored twice in the first half and Florrie Redford and Minnie Lyons added further goals before the end of the game. A local newspaper described the ball control of Harris as "almost weird". He added "she controlled the ball like a veteran league forward, swerved, beat her opponents with the greatest of ease, and passed with judgment and discretion". As a result of this game, the Unemployed Ex Servicemens Distress Fund received over £600 to help the people of Preston. This was equivalent to £125,000 in today's money.

On 26th December, 1920, Dick Kerr Ladies played the second best women's team in England, St Helens Ladies, at Goodison Park, the home ground of Everton. The plan was to raise money for the Unemployed Ex Servicemens Distress Fund in Liverpool. Over 53,000 people watched the game with an estimated 14,000 disappointed fans locked outside. It was the largest crowd that had ever watched a woman's game in England.

Florrie Redford, Dick Kerr Ladies' star striker, missed her train to Liverpool and was unavailable for selection. In the first half, Jennie Harris gave Dick Keer Ladies a 1-0 lead. However, the team was missing Redford and so the captain and right back, Alice Kell, decided to play centre forward. It was a shrewd move and Kell scored a second-half hat trick which enabled her side to beat St Helens Ladies 4-0.

The game at Goodison Park raised £3,115 (£623,000 in today's money). Two weeks later the Dick Kerr Ladies played a game at Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United, in order to raise money for ex-servicemen in Manchester. Over 35,000 people watched the game and £1,962 (£392,000) was raised for charity.

In 1921 the Dick Kerr Ladies team was in such demand that Alfred Frankland had to refuse 120 invitations from all over Britain. The still played 67 games that year in front of 900,000 people. It has to be remembered that all the players had full-time jobs and the games had to be played on Saturday or weekday evenings. As Alice Norris pointed out: "It was sometimes hard work when we played a match during the week because we would have to work in the morning, travel to play the match, then travel home again and be up early for work the next day."

On 14th February, 1921, 25,000 people watched Dick Kerr Ladies beat the Best of Britain, 9-1. Lily Parr (5), Florrie Redford (2) and Jennie Harris (2) got the goals. Representing their country, the Preston team beat the French national side 5-1 in front of 15,000 people at Longton. Parr scored all five goals.

The Dick Kerrs Ladies did not only raise money for Unemployed Ex Servicemens Distress Fund. They also helped local workers who were in financial difficulty. The mining industry in particular suffered a major recession after the war. In March, 1921, the mine-owners announced a further 50% reduction in miner's wages. When the miners refused to accept this pay-cut, they were locked out from their jobs. On April 1 and, immediately on the heels of this provocation, the government put into force its Emergency Powers Act, drafting soldiers into the coalfield.

The government and the mine-owners attempted to starve the miners into submission. Several members of the Dick Kerr team came from mining areas like St. Helens and held strong opinions on this issue and games were played to raise money for the families of those men locked out of employment. As Barbara Jacobs pointed out in The Dick, Kerr's Ladies: "Women's football had come to be associated with charity, and had its own credibility. Now it was used as a tool to help the Labour Movement and the trade unions. It had, it could be said, become a politically dangerous sport, to those who felt the trade unions to be their enemies.... Women went out to support their menfolk, a Lancashire tradition, was causing ripples in a society which wanted women to revert to their prewar roles as set down by their masters, of keeping their place, that place being in the home and kitchen. Lancashire lasses were upsetting the social order. It wasn't acceptable."

The 1921 Miners Lock-Out caused considerable suffering in mining areas in Wales and Scotland. This was reflected by games played in Cardiff (18,000), Swansea (25,000) and Kilmarnock (15,000). Dick Kerr Ladies represented England beat Wales on two successive Saturdays. They also beat Scotland on 16th April, 1921.

The Football Association was appalled by what they considered to be women's involvement in national politics. It now began a propaganda campaign against women's football. A new rule was introduced that stated no football club in the FA should allow their ground to be used for women's football unless it was prepared to handle all the cash transactions and do the full accounting. This was an attempt to smear Alfred Frankland with financial irregularities.

On 5th December 1921, the Football Association issued the following statement:

Complaints having been made as to football being played by women, the Council feel impelled to express their strong opinion that the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged.

Complaints have been made as to the conditions under which some of these matches have been arranged and played, and the appropriation of the receipts to other than Charitable objects.

The Council are further of the opinion that an excessive proportion of the receipts are absorbed in expenses and an inadequate percentage devoted to Charitable objects.

For these reasons the Council requests the clubs belonging to the Association refuse the use of their grounds for such matches.

This measure removed the ability of women to raise significant sums of money for charity as they were now barred from playing at all the major venues. The Football Association also announced that members were not allowed to referee or act as linesman at any women's football match.

The Dick Kerr Ladies team were shocked by this decision. Alice Kell, the captain, spoke for the other women when she said: "We play for the love of the game and we are determined to carry on. It is impossible for the working girls to afford to leave work to play matches all over the country and be the losers. I see no reason why we should not be recompensated for loss of time at work. No one ever receives more than 10 shillings per day."

Alice Norris pointed out that the women were determined to resist attempts to stop them playing football: "We just took it all in our stride but it was a terrible shock when the FA stopped us from playing on their grounds. We were all very upset but we ignored them when they said that football wasn't a suitable game for ladies to play."

As Gail J. Newsham argued In a League of their Own: "So, that was that, the axe had fallen, and despite all the ladies denials and assurances regarding finances, and their willingness to play under any conditions that the FA laid down, the decision was irreversible. The chauvinists, the medical 'experts' and the anti women's football lobby had won - their threatened male bastion was now safe."

Alfred Frankland responded to the action taken by the Football Association with the claim: "The team will continue to play, if the organisers of charity matches will provide grounds, even if we have to play on ploughed fields."

Frankland now decided to take his team on a tour of Canada and the United States. The team included Alice Kell, Jennie Harris, Daisy Clayton, Florrie Redford, Florrie Haslam, Alice Woods, Jessie Walmsley, Lily Parr, Molly Walker, Carmen Pomies, Lily Lee, Alice Mills, Annie Crozier, May Graham, Lily Stanley and R. J. Garrier. Their regular goalkeeper, Peggy Mason, was unable to go due to the recent death of her mother.

When the Dick Kerr Ladies arrived in Quebec on 22nd December, 1922, they discovered that the Dominion Football Association had banned them from playing against Canadian teams. They were accepted in the United States, and even though they were sometimes forced to play against men, they lost only 3 out of 9 games. They visited Boston, Baltimore, St. Louis, Washington, Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia during their tour of America.

Florrie Redford was the leading scorer on the tour but Lily Parr was considered the star player and American newspapers reported that she was the "most brilliant female player in the world". One member of the team, Alice Mills, met her future husband at one of the games, and would later return to marry him and become an American citizen.

In Philadelphia four members of the team, Jennie Harris, Florrie Haslam, Lily Parr, and Molly Walker, met the American Women's Olympic team in a relay race of about a quarter of a mile. Even though their fastest runner, Alice Woods, was unavailable through illness, the Preston ladies still won the race.

Dick Kerrs Ladies continued to play charity games in England but denied access by the Football Association to the large venues, the money raised was disappointing when compared to the years immediately following the First World War. In 1923 the French Ladies came over for their annual tour of England. They played against Dick Kerr Ladies at Cardiff Arms Park. Part of the proceeds were for the Rheims Cathedral Fund in France.

Dick, Kerr Engineering was eventually taken over by English Electric. Although they allowed the team to play on Ashton Park, it refused to subsidize the football team. Alfred Frankland was also told that he would no longer be given time off to run the team that was now known as the Preston Ladies.

Frankland decided to leave English Electric and open a shop with his wife in Sharoe Green Lane in Preston where they sold fish and greengroceries. He continued to manage Preston Ladies with great success.

It is not known when Alice Kell stopped playing football.

I am indebted to the research carried out by Barbara Jacobs (The Dick, Kerr's Ladies) and Gail Newsham (In a League of their Own) for the information in this article.

Helen Keller

Helen Adams Keller (June 27, 1880 – June 1, 1968) was an American author, disability rights advocate, political activist and lecturer. Born in West Tuscumbia, Alabama, she lost her sight and hearing after a bout of illness at the age of nineteen months. She then communicated primarily using home signs until the age of seven when she met her first teacher and life-long companion Anne Sullivan, who taught her language, including reading and writing Sullivan's first lessons involved spelling words on Keller's hand to show her the names of objects around her. She also learned how to speak and to understand other people's speech using the Tadoma method. After an education at both specialist and mainstream schools, she attended Radcliffe College of Harvard University and became the first deafblind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree. She worked for the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) from 1924 until 1968, during which time she toured the United States and traveled to 35 countries around the globe advocating for those with vision loss.

Keller was a prolific author, writing 14 books and hundreds of speeches and essays on topics ranging from animals to Mahatma Gandhi. [1] Keller campaigned for those with disabilities, for women’s suffrage, labor rights, and world peace. She joined the Socialist Party of America in 1909. She was a supporter of the NAACP and an original member of the American Civil Liberties Union. In 1933, when her book How I Became a Socialist was burned by Nazi youth, she wrote an open letter to the Student Body of Germany condemning censorship and prejudice.

The story of Keller and Sullivan was made famous by Keller's 1903 autobiography, The Story of My Life, and its adaptations for film and stage, The Miracle Worker. Her birthplace is now a museum [2] and sponsors an annual "Helen Keller Day". Her June 27 birthday is commemorated as Helen Keller Day in Pennsylvania and, in the centenary year of her birth, was recognized by a presidential proclamation from U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

She was inducted into the Alabama Women's Hall of Fame in 1971 and was one of twelve inaugural inductees to the Alabama Writers Hall of Fame on June 8, 2015. [3]

What is the Net Worth of Valerie Mahaffey?

Valerie Mahaffey has an estimated net worth of $5 million as of 2020. She notably collected a huge amount from her career as a television and film actress. Mahaffey received a number of prestigious awards such as the Obie Award 2003, Outer Critics Circle Special Award 2003. She was nominated for Daytime Emmy Award in 1980.

Mahaffey began her career with the television screen. She made her acting debut with the television film Tell Me My Name portraying the character of Alexandra. The mother to Alice subsequently landed roles in television series including The Doctors, The Powers That Be, Desperate Housewives, Hannah Montana, Dead to Me, Young Sheldon, etc.

The 5 ft 6 in tall starred in films like Seabiscuit, My First Wedding, Jack and Jill, and Sully. Sully was a blockbuster collecting a total of $240.8 million at the box office against a budget of $60 million. Till today, Valerie worked alongside actors like Brenda Strong, Felicity Huffman, and Nicollette Sheridan.

Alice Kell - History

Florence Kelley dedicated her life to social reform. She worked to end many social problems, including labor and racial discrimination. She influenced many social movements in the United States.

Born on September 12, 1859 in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, Florence Kelley was pushed into social activism as a child. Her parents, both abolitionists, supported Kelley’s early interest in education and women’s rights. At 16 she entered Cornell University. After she graduated, she moved to Europe to study at the University of Zurich. While in Europe, Kelley joined the Germany Social Democratic Party and translated many of the party’s important works. She returned to the United States in 1891 and joined the reform movement in Chicago. While working with Hull-House founded by Jane Addams, Kelley was hired to investigate the labor industry in the city. Her findings led to changes in working conditions for laborers. She was selected to be the Chief Factory Inspector for the state of Illinois. She was the first woman to hold this position. As inspector, Kelley, tried to force sweatshops to follow the rules to treat their employees better. She sued several businesses. Unfortunately, she never won, this inspired her to become a lawyer. In 1895, Kelley graduated with a law degree from Northwestern University.

In 1899, she moved to New York City and became the head of the National Consumers League (NCL). At the NCL Kelley worked to shorten work days and pay workers more money. Kelley’s work helped create 10-hour workdays and some state minimum wage laws. Her time with the NCL led to the creation of the white label. The “white label” was given to stores that treated employees fairly. Citizens were asked to support worker’s rights by only shopping at businesses that had the “white label”. Kelley’s investigation into labor conditions made her aware of how different races were being treated differently in the workplace. In 1909, Kelley, helped organize the (NAACP) National Advancement of Colored People.

Kelley also worked to end child labor. In 1911, she founded the National Labor Committee. She also joined the fight for women’s rights as the Vice President of the National American Woman Suffrage Association. She was a founding member of the Women’s International League for Peace. She died in 1932, having spent her entire life fighting for better conditions for worker and equality for women and African Americans.

Kelley, Florence. The Selected Letters of Florence Kelley 1869-1931. Champaign: Illnois, 2009.

Sklar, Kathryn. Florence Kelley and the Nation’s Work: The Rise of Women’s Political Culture 1830-1900. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1997.

“Florence Kelley.” Women Working 1800-1930, Accessed 30 March 2017, http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/ww/kelley.html.

Stebner, E. The women of Hull House: A study in spirituality, vocation, and friendship . Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1997.

Bienen, Leigh. Florence Kelley and the Children: Factory Inspector in the 1890’s Chicago, New YorkL Leigh Bienen, 2014.

The scandalous secrets lurking in Grace Kelly’s home

It still looks like a scene out of a fairy tale: The handsome prince and the beautiful movie star, revealing the Cartier engagement ring he’s just given her — complete with a 10.47-carat emerald-cut diamond flanked by twin baguettes.

In their official January 1956 engagement photos, Grace Kelly — already an Oscar winner at 26 for “The Country Girl” — and His Serene Highness, Prince Rainier of Monaco, 32, look quietly content. The Hitchcock blonde’s mother, Margaret, smiles sweetly at her second-youngest child. But no one’s grin is bigger and jollier than that of John B. “Jack” Kelly Sr., Grace’s father. Not only was his girl about to become a princess, but here she was back in her very first palace — the stately Philadelphia mansion that Jack, a one-time bricklayer who had turned his trade into a fortune as a contractor — had built himself.

Prince Rainier of Monaco and Grace Kelly with her parents, Margaret and John Getty Images

And now was his chance to show off the place. At Jack’s behest, dozens of photographers swarmed the Kelly mansion — flashbulbs blazing, demanding, “Grace, look over here!” They even called her prince “Joe,” as in “Give us a smile, Joe! Move your ass, Joe!”

Media-savvy Jack, a Democratic powerbroker who counted FDR among his associates, instructed the photographers to work in shifts.

“We’ll put all the TV men down in the basement and leave the still [photography] men on the second floor . . . It’s a good thing I built this house myself or we’d all be down in the basement by now,” the millionaire contractor declared, proudly thumping his chest about how solid the floors were under the weight of a battalion of photographers.

Now, some 60 years later, the once-grand red-brick Kelly house is once again in the spotlight. Grace and Rainier’s son, Prince Albert, the reigning monarch of Monaco, has purchased the home for $754,000, with plans to use it as the American offices for the Princess Grace Foundation, which awards grants and scholarships to young actors, directors, dancers and others in the entertainment field. He has said the place will also be open for public viewing “from time to time.”

Albert — who spent many a childhood Christmas at the house with his sisters, Princesses Caroline and Stéphanie — called the place “very special to our family,” adding that he was happy to have saved it “from a near-certain death or development.”

But not all the memories are happy ones, nor will Albert likely be willing to discuss the demons that darkened the Kellys’ platinum lives: alcoholism, philandering, runaway teens, maternal betrayal and a scandalous transsexual affair that brought down a promising political career.

Grace Kelly’s childhood home in Philadelphia New York Post

Oh, if these walls could talk.

Because of the Kelly family’s power, privilege, politics, Irish Catholic heritage and many scandals, they’ve often been compared to the Kennedy clan.

And Grace was hardly the first of them to pursue a career in entertainment.

One of Jack’s brothers, Walter, became a well-known star — known as “The Virginia Judge” — in vaudeville, earning a tidy fortune. Yet he died penniless in a flophouse.

Another of his brothers, George, was a famous playwright who had won a Pulitzer for “Craig’s Wife” in 1926. Nonetheless, he was essentially banished by his generation of the family because of his homosexuality. Besides hiring his lover as his valet, he was said to have been blackmailed by a man with whom he had an affair.

Though George was said to be a misogynist and an anti-Semite, he was Grace’s favorite uncle, and she would often stay with him when she first began her career in California.

In just five short years — from 1951 to 1956 — the coolly beautiful actress managed to successfully woo Hollywood audiences, not to mention plenty of its leading men. Though she made just 11 films in her brief career, she was often linked to her co-stars. While some — like Clark Gable (“Mogambo”) or Bing Crosby (“High Society,” “The Country Girl”) — were single at the time, others including Gary Cooper (“High Noon”), William Holden (also “The Country Girl”) and Ray Milland (“Dial M for Murder”) were very much married.

As The New Yorker critic Anthony Lane wondered in a 2010 profile of the actress-turned-princess: “Slavering man-eater or virgin bride?”

Even Grace’s marriage has come into question since her death in a 1982 car accident near Monaco, at the age of 52. In his 2013 memoir “The Fat Lady Sang,” film producer Robert Evans claimed that the fairy-tale union was simply a business arrangement masterminded by Aristotle Onassis, who owned a lot of property in Monaco, to turn the postage-stamp-picturesque principality into a gambling mecca for the rich and famous.

“The right bride could do for Monaco’s tourism what the coronation of Queen Elizabeth did for Great Britain,” Rainier was told by Onassis, a partner in the syndicate that owned a casino in Monaco.

Grace Kelly (right) with her sister Lizanne Kelly Getty Images

Grace famously married a prince, but her brother, John B. Kelly Jr. (known as “Kell” to his inner circle), had an infamous love affair with a “queen” that ignited a family feud and cost him the chance to become mayor of Philadelphia.

Long before Caitlyn Jenner, there was Rachel Harlow — nee Richard Finnochio, a South Philly pretty boy who earned his royal sobriquet when he won a drag-show beauty contest in New York that was the subject of an award-winning 1968 documentary called “The Queen.”

Harlow later had sex-reassignment surgery and became the hostess of a ’70s Philadelphia disco called Harlow’s. That’s where Kell — a renowned womanizer, as well as a popular politician like his father, Jack — fell for her after abandoning his wife, son and five daughters to live the playboy life.

Kell, who had won a bronze medal in rowing at the 1956 Olympics, had hoped to become mayor of Philadelphia, running against a popular tough-guy former cop, the incumbent Frank Rizzo.

However, in February 1975, a story appeared in one of the city’s dailies, declaring: “If Jack Kelly never becomes mayor he will probably have his mother to blame.”

The Kelly family matriarch, Margaret, was beside herself over her son’s affair — so much so that she contacted two influential Democratic Party members and asked that Kell not receive the party’s endorsement for mayor. Publicly, she said she did it because politics disrupts family life.

Privately, she had found out about a campaign poster being prepared by Rizzo’s administration that read: “Will the First Lady Be Harlow?”

Margaret didn’t want her daughter, the princess, to be embarrassed by Kell’s relationship with a transsexual blonde.

A friend of Kell’s told a journalist that the Kelly matriarch “destroyed her son [and] treated him like an erring little boy. He defied her and she was going to fix him . . . Kell was totally devastated.”

Harlow and Kell’s relationship disintegrated, much like his political career. In March 1985, while out jogging, Kell collapsed and died of a heart attack. He was 57.

Despite Grace’s fame, Jack Sr.’s favorite child was his and Margaret’s first-born, Peggy, who endured two turbulent marriages that ended in divorce, including one to a heavy drinker who was nearly killed in a drunken car crash.

One of Peggy’s twin daughters, Mary Lee, made headlines when she ran away from home at 15 — only to be found a month later working as a waitress in a Des Moines, Iowa, coffee shop and living with her 18-year-old boyfriend.

When the young couple married a month later, Peggy refused to attend. She died of alcoholism in 1991.

Grace Kelly shows her engagement ring to her mother, Margaret, next to Prince Rainier and her father, John. AP

The baby of the Kelly family, Elizabeth (known mostly as Lizanne), was closest to Grace. They acted together in local theater productions, and later she accompanied her starlet sister to movie sets. When Grace was killed, it was Lizanne, a stockbroker’s wife, who picked up the phone and heard a tearful Princess Caroline say, “Mommy died.” Lizanne passed away from cancer in 2009.

When Prince Albert visited the family abode last fall, it was the first time a Kelly family member had been “home” in decades. An official city plaque stands on the property, honoring the Kelly family’s accomplishments. The house itself, though, has a long road ahead of it before it can return to its glory days.

After the Kellys sold the place in 1973, things went downhill. For years, the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals received complaints about a possible animal-hoarding situation. When investigators finally entered the manse — where her Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco, had grown up with servants and a chauffeur — in 2013, they discovered a flea-infested, feces-covered horror house.

Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco Bettmann Archive

Agents seized 14 live cats, one dog and one dead cat, and owner Marjorie Bamont was involuntarily committed for psychiatric evaluation and subsequently convicted on 16 counts of animal cruelty. She pleaded no contest to the charges, but soon filed a $1 million civil suit against the SPCA, alleging illegal seizure of her menagerie.

It was after Bamont passed away last year that Albert purchased the toxic six-bedroom, 2½-story Colonial homestead custom-built by his maternal grandfather.

“The first thing is to get it back in shape,” a Kelly cousin told a TV reporter, as the wallpaper and paint in the front hall date back to 1925.

Prince Albert is ready for the challenge, and the chance to honor the happy memories of his heritage.

“The house is filled with little moments,” he said. “Moments of being a family.”

Jerry Oppenheimer is a bestselling author whose latest book, “The Kardashians: An American Drama,” will be published in September.

Helen Keller

Helen Keller was an author, lecturer, and crusader for the handicapped.਋orn in Tuscumbia, Alabama, She lost her sight and hearing at the age of nineteen months to an illness now believed to have been scarlet fever. Five years later, on the advice of Alexander Graham Bell, her parents applied to the Perkins Institute for the Blind in Boston for a teacher, and from that school hired Anne Mansfield Sullivan. Through Sullivan’s extraordinary instruction, the little girl learned to understand and communicate with the world around her. She went on to acquire an excellent education and to become an important influence on the treatment of the blind and deaf.

Keller learned from Sullivan to read and write in Braille and to use the hand signals of the deaf-mute, which she could understand only by touch. Her later efforts to learn to speak were less successful, and in her public appearances she required the assistance of an interpreter to make herself understood. Nevertheless, her impact as educator, organizer, and fund-raiser was enormous, and she was responsible for many advances in public services to the handicapped.

With Sullivan repeating the lectures into her hand, Keller studied at schools for the deaf in Boston and New York City and graduated cum laude from Radcliffe College in 1904. Her unprecedented accomplishments in overcoming her disabilities made her a celebrity at an early age at twelve she published an autobiographical sketch in the Youth’s Companion, and during her junior year at Radcliffe she produced her first book, The Story of My Life, still in print in over fifty languages. Keller published four other books of her personal experiences as well as a volume on religion, one on contemporary social problems, and a biography of Anne Sullivan. She also wrote numerous articles for national magazines on the prevention of blindness and the education and special problems of the blind.

There is no concrete evidence that Carroll ever experimented with mind-altering drugs

Of course, sometimes a caterpillar smoking a hookah is just that – especially when he’s flanked by a magical mushroom. Since the 1960s, drug-lovers have read Alice’s antics as one big trip. The lyrics to Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit did a fair bit to cement the association: “Remember what the Dormouse said / Feed your head, feed your head”. From its heat-addled opening scene, there is a psychedelic vibe – besides all those pills, time moves erratically, and the grinning Cheshire Cat is here one minute, gone the next.

In 1871, Lewis Carroll published a sequel called Through the Looking Glass, which introduced the Jabberwocky and Tweedles Dum and Dee (Credit: Alamy)

One of Dodgson’s own favourite authors was Thomas De Quincey of Confessions of an English Opium Eater fame, but though he dabbled in homeopathic cold remedies, there is no concrete evidence that he ever experimented with mind-altering drugs. Still, the druggy associations endure, as a line from The Matrix shows: “You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Of cabbages and kings

But it’s not all sex and drugs. Another strand of criticism views Alice as a political allegory. When our heroine leaps after the White Rabbit, she ends up in a place that, for all its zany, disconcerting strangeness, is ruled over by a quick-tempered queen – Dodgson reputedly had mixed feelings about Queen Victoria even though she loved his book – and has a shambolic legal system, much like Victorian Britain.

Alice Kell - History

“Kelly Barnes and Alice Larson came in 1917, he from Lumberton, North Caroline, and she from Santa Rosa, California. Both of them lived with the Forrest. After their training at Toccoa Falls and at Wheaton College, they married and were associated with Toccoa Falls Institute until their deaths. Mr. Barnes was superintendent, and Mrs. Barnes was one of the teachers and later became the high school principal.” (From Achieving the Impossible with God)

Kelly and Alice Grace as a young couple.

Kelly Barnes always struck a dashing image, especially as a young man.

No one could ever accuse Evelyn Forrest of being afraid of hard work. Here she is with Alice Grace in modest but acceptable work clothes of the day.

Kelly Barnes

Alice and Kelly as a young married couple.

The college’s first radio station was located in the basement of the First Presbyterian Church of Toccoa where Dr. Forrest served as pastor. Kelly Barnes was the first “station manager.” This is the radio station that also carried Mrs. Forrest’s weekly Bible study.

Alice Grace Barnes was on of the first teachers at the Institute, which later grew to be Toccoa Falls College.

From the beginning, Dr. Forrest had a close bond with Kelly Barnes, who lived with Forrests after coming to the college in very early years of its existence. His brother Walt also attended school at TFI and later worked closely with Mrs. Forrest as she supervised the daily operations of the farm and school.

Kelly and Alice Grace met at TFI where they graduated. After they received their teaching certificiants, they married and moved back to Toccoa Falls where they spent the rest of their lives preparing others for God’s service.

This is a rare photo of four of the original students and graduates. (left to right) Sue Ralls, Ora Frost, Kelly Barnes, and Alice Grace Barnes are shown at the ground breaking for the boy’s dorm—Forrest.

Alice Kell - History

Brief notes on the Dunn, Kell, Wikle, and Page lines, and intermarried lines.

This is intended to be a very brief introduction and overview to the Dunn ancestry. As time permits, additional material on each of the lines will be put up in greater detail, as will photos and other material.

So far only one line on the Dunn side can be traced back to immigration, and this is our "Pennsylvania Dutch" (actually German) line, the Wikles. (Susan Wikle married James Dunn.) Peter Wikle came to Pennsylvania from Germany in 1770 or 1771 according to the tradition recorded in later Wikle family Bibles and there is no reason to doubt it. The intermarried Bandys may be French Huguenot in origin, but all our other lines are either English (Page most likely) or Scotch-Irish (Dunn and Kell). This is a very typical mix for the upland south, and probably almost all the descendants thought of themselves as Scotch-Irish.

Jesse Louis Dunn, James G. Dunn, Sam Dunn, William A. Dunn and Maggie Dunn McKinney (photos of all but Sam appear in the Album) were all children of Rev. John Henry Dunn (1848-1914), whose biography is included elsewhere in this package. John Henry Dunn married Trissie Ann Page (1848-1904), and the Pages are dealt with briefly below. John Henry Dunn's uncle, John Dunn, married another Page (I believe her name was Sarah Jane Page), and one of their daughters, I believe Letty, married James G. Dunn, son of John Henry Dunn, so the descendants of James Dunn have Dunn and Page ancestors each on two different lines.

John Henry Dunn was the son of James Dunn (1824 or 1827-1887), who married Susan Wikle in 1846. The Wikles are discussed below. (His tombstone gives the birth date of 1824 but appears to be a 20th century stone. Census records tend to point to a little later birthdate, around 1827.) James Dunn was probably born in Rabun County, Georgia, came with his father to Gilmer County, Georgia, in 1833, and farmed in the Cartecay, Georgia area, also for a while owning land around what is now Copperhill, Tennessee, where his father had a ferry for a time. He later lived in Pickens County, Georgia. The John Dunn who married Sarah Jane Page was a younger brother (quite a bit younger) of James Dunn.

James Dunn's father was John Dunn . He was born about 1797, apparently in South Carolina, though once North Carolina is listed. Although he appears to have been of Irish or Scotch-Irish ancestry and to have had connections with several other Dunn families in the southwestern North Carolina/Northwestern South Carolina/northeastern Georgia area, I am still not certain who his father was. This John Dunn, often called "Old Uncle John" or "Johnny" in Gilmer County, was both an early settler and a fervent Methodist. Although the Gilmer County history says he died "about 1883", his wife is shown as a widow as early as 1870. I still do not know the correct year of his death. Since he was active in Methodism during reconstruction he must have died very late in the 1860s.

The John Dunn just mentioned is the earliest ancestor on the Dunn line itself (as opposed to intermarried lines) about whom I know anything certain, but he was part of a broader extended family of in-laws who moved together in the early years. This provides most of the clues we have so far to his origins. He married Elizabeth Kell in Hall County, Georgia, in 1819 and is shown in the Hall County census for 1820. Her father, James Kell, and her brother, Alexander Kell, were living in Rabun County and Alexander at least had been there well before the Cherokee cession of 1817: he had a Cherokee wife, apparently. John Dunn appears in the 1820 Hall County, Georgia census right alongside Robert Smith Senior and Robert Smith Junior, the latter of which was his brother-in-law, having married Cynthia Kell. Comparison of known property of neighbors suggests that the 1820 Hall County census puts John Dunn somewhere east of Flowery Branch, Georgia. This is quite a bit south of Rabun County. By the 1820s, though, he seems to have been living in the western part of Rabun County. Land he sold in 1834, after moving to Gilmer, was about 12 miles west of where the Kells were living.

Just recently (in early May of 1996) I found a clue which may give us an opening towards finding John Dunn's ancestors. For some time I've been looking closely at the family surrounding one Joseph Dunn, who seems to have been living not far from the Kells in Pendleton County, South Carolina, in the early 1790s. He seems to be the same Joseph Dunn who, with a son or brother William Dunn, moved about 1797 or 1798 to the Gumlog Creek area of Franklin County, Georgia, near the present town of Livonia. Later Dunns mentioned in deeds include a James Dunn and a Thomas Dunn. Other than the fact that these Dunns were in South Carolina, seemingly, when our John Dunn was born there about 1797 and moved to a part of Georgia not far from where our John first turns up, there's another interesting connection: on Gumlog Creek in Franklin County, Georgia, the Dunns lived adjacent to and bought land from one John Stonecypher. This same John Stonecypher sold land in Rabun County to his son or other relative, James Stonecypher, and this land was only three or four miles from where our John Dunn later lived in Rabun County. This at a time when there were ony a few hundred families (I think about 325 non-Cherokee families) in all of Rabun County. And these were very close to each other. I'm increasingly convinced that we need to look closely at these Franklin County Dunns, and am collecting everything I can on them. But so far, I haven't got any proof of a relationship, just the clues just mentioned. For more material on this possible link, see the essay "The Earliest Clues Found So Far on the Origin of Our Dunns".

John Dunn certainly lived in Rabun County prior to moving to Gilmer in 1833, and was closely associated with his father in law, James Kell , and Kell's extended family, which included another son-in-law, Robert Smith, and James Kell's son Alexander. Later in Gilmer County the Smiths and Kells were also intermarried with a family named Ralston , and one piece of land in the Cartecay area was owned at one time or another by John Dunn, David Ralston and Robert Smith -- all in-laws of each other. I don't think the Ralstons became linked until they got to Gilmer County, however. The Smith-Kell-Dunn link goes back much farther, and they traveled together to Gilmer in or about November, 1833. John Dunn sold his last land in Rabun the following year.

Several published sources and family tradition on my side all refer to the ferry John Dunn operated at what is now Copperhill, Tennessee. Records are sparse. A historian of the Copper Basin wrote me that James Dunn (son of John Dunn) owned land at the ferry until 1856. John Dunn sold land in the Cartecay area in 1846 his grandson John Henry Dunn was born on the Tennessee side in 1848 John Dunn was still in Tennessee in the 1850 census but his son James, father of John Henry, had moved back to Cartecay by 1849. Family tradition on my side says that the Dunns lost the ferry shortly before the copper boom, which began in earnest in the 1850s had they still owned it when the copper boom started they'd have become rich. Apparently John Dunn signed a bond for a neighbor who defaulted and lost the ferry in the process. So the evidence I have points to Dunn being there in the late 1840s and early 1850s. George G. Ward's Gilmer County history says he owned the ferry when the Indians were still in the county (that is, before 1838), but I think he has confused two facts: the Dunns came when the Indians were still in the county (1833), and later John Dunn moved north to Copperhill, then returning later to their original area of settlement near Cartecay, southeast of Ellijay. The early deed books are fragmentary before about 1842, but we can definitely show a move north about 1846 and a return a few years later.

John Dunn's wife, Elizabeth Kell, was the daughter of James Kell (1760-1848), a much-traveled veteran of the American Revolution. "Captain" Kell -- as everyone called him in his old age -- was born in Pennsylvania, raised in eastern North Carolina, then lived in several counties of North Carolina (marrying his wife, Letitia Kneal or Neill , in Rowan County, NC) before moving to extreme western South Carolina. (It is Kneal on the marriage bond, but that name never appears otherwise in North Carolina records, while there are many Neills in Rowan County, and they used Letitia as a given name. A witness to the marriage was William Neill, and I believe he was her father. That line is still uncertain, however.) James Kell was the son of one of three or four brothers who moved from Pennsylvania to North Carolina, though it is still not clear which one.

James Kell served several tours of duty during the American Revolution, one of them as a captain of militia, and was addressed as Captain Kell for the rest of his life. His revolutionary service is well doucmented. James, a probable brother of his (John), and a cousin (Robert) all ended up in western South Carolina by the 1790s. Early in the 1800s James and his son Alexander, and perhaps some of the others, were in Cherokee country which later became Rabun County. An Alexander Kell married a Cherokee and there are still Cherokee Kells in Oklahoma this Alexander seems to be the same man -- James Kell's son -- who later married a white woman named Elmira or Mira and had another family in the Ellijay area, the first child of which family was born after he was 40, allowing for the earlier, half-Cherokee family as well. I have dealt with these Cherokee links in an essay on "The Dunns' Cherokee Connections".

By the 1820s or so James Kell and his sons in law John Dunn and Robert Smith, not to mention various Kells, were living in Rabun County, Georgia, where Kell had been at least since Cherokee days. In 1833 they moved to what became Gilmer County, Georgia. Kell took the first census of Gilmer County in 1834 and lived in his old age with his son Alexander along what is still called Kell Creek north of Ellijay, Georgia. He died in 1848. As noted, his daughter Elizabeth had married John Dunn in 1819, and they thereafter usually lived fairly near James Kell.

Old James Kell seems to have been a character he was active in politics, a Jacksonian Democrat, and apparently something of a story-teller. (He also belonged to no church, in an area where his in-laws were all very active.) His Kell grandsons fought for the Confederacy while the Dunns, Pages, and Wikles were pro-Union during the war. My biogfaphy of James Kell, still being revised, is even longer than the one of John Henry Dunn, enclosed. I'll try to get it ready for sending soon.

Susan Wikle, who married James Dunn in 1846, was the daughter of Henry Wikle (1785-1844) and Anna Bandy Wikle (1795-1878). Henry Wikle was born in 1785 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, the son of Peter Wikle , a "Pennsylvania German" who came from Germany in about 1770. Family tradition claims that Peter Wikle's wife was a noblewoman or royalty, but such traditions are common among early German immigrants and I have found no proof. Peter Wikle settled in Rutherford County, North Carolina. He probably died shortly after 1800. Other Wikle descendants believe he lived in what is now Haywood or Jackson County, North Carolina, but I believe that he died in what is now Rutherford and his sons moved to Haywood, based on land records. Henry Wikle married Anna Bandy in Haywood County, North Carolina in 1815. She was most likely the daughter of one David Bandy who lived nearby and is the right age, though she may have been the daughter of one Jesse Bandy. This is still being researched.

Henry Wikle moved to Gilmer County in 1836. He had numerous children who all survived to adulthood. None of the daughters married until after Henry died in 1844. Susan, who married James Dunn, remained in Gilmer or Pickens County most of the others ended up in the Cartersville, Georgia, area or farther afield.

The Wikles, like the Dunns, were avid Methodists, and Henry Wikle and John Dunn were among the founders of the Cartecay Methodist church.

John Henry Dunn married Trissie Ann Page his uncle, John Dunn, married her sister, I believe named Sarah Jane Page. Both were daughters of Gazaway Page , born about 1817 in Union County, South Carolina, died in Gilmer County, Georgia, in late 1883. His (first) wife, their mother, was named Nancy I do not know her maiden name. Gazaway was also an ardent Methodist in the Cartecay, Georgia area, and also pro-Union (like the Dunns) during the Civil War. Another daughter married another Methodist minister, so he had two sons-in-law who were Dunns and two who were Ministers. Our ancestor, his wife, was named Nancy but we do not know her maiden name. After she died, Gazaway married Julia Sorrels and moved to Flat Mountain in remote northwestern Gilmer County, where he died on November 1, 1883.

Gazaway Page was the son of Richard Page (born about 1786 in Virginia died in Georgia after 1870) and his wife Ann . I suspect her maiden name was Gazaway, because this was a prominent Methodist family living near the Pages in Union County, South Carolina, and would explain the name Gazaway Page for the eldest son. I cannot prove her maiden name at this time, however. Richard Page was born in Charlotte County, Virginia, moved as a boy to Union County, South Carolina, and moved some time in the 1840s to Gilmer County, Georgia, perhaps after a residence in Rabun County, Georgia. His parents were Richard Page , born in the 1750s in Virginia, who served in the Revolution (we have at least two Revolutionary veterans on the Dunn side, James Kell and Richard Page), married Elizabeth Jones in 1779 in Charlotte County, Virginia, and later moved to Union County, South Carolina. He lived there until his death in 1833 she died there in 1838. The elder Richard Page was almost certainly the son of Nathaniel Page , who seems to have lived in a couple of Virginia Counties before moving to South Carolina. His wife was probably Hannah , name unknown.There is some reason to suspect his parents were Robert and Wine Page , though this is not yet proven. They're shown so on the enclosed charts but the proof is not complete.

As for Elizabeth Jones, who married Richard Page in 1779, she was a daughter of Richard Jones of Caroline County, who may have been the son of another Richard Jones. They seem to be linked to a fairly widespread Jones family of central Virginia, ut these links are not yet complete.

As you can see, there is considerable information but the tree is far from complete. I am prepared to share all the details of my research with all my relatives, and hope to learn what they may know. If anyone knows that some of these facts are wrong, can add to them, or just wants to talk about them or know more (I have much more detail), please contact me.

40 Charged in Largest Federal Racketeering Conspiracy in South Carolina History

A federal grand jury has returned a 147-count superseding indictment against 40 defendants across South Carolina in the largest federal racketeering conspiracy in South Carolina history.

The indictment alleges a sprawling criminal enterprise whereby inmates with the South Carolina Department of Corrections (SCDC), often through the use of contraband cell phones, orchestrated murder, kidnapping, firearms distribution, and an international drug operation.

The grand jury returned an indictment charging the defendants with conspiracy under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, and several charges under the Violent Crimes in Aid of Racketeering (VICAR) statute. Of the 40 defendants, 24 defendants were charged in the initial indictment in this case for conduct related to their alleged roles in the drug trafficking organization.

“The defendants allegedly operated a violent and lucrative drug enterprise on behalf of the Insane Gangster Disciples while incarcerated,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Brian C. Rabbitt of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. “The department is committed to investigating and prosecuting gang-related crimes no matter where they occur, including holding those accountable who engage in criminal activity while in prison.”

“To anyone who would try to harm the people of South Carolina with violence, intimidation or extortion, we are coming after you wherever you are,” said U.S. Attorney Peter M. McCoy Jr. of the District of South Carolina. “Neither pandemic nor prison walls will provide refuge from the full force of the federal government. While the U.S. Attorney’s Office in South Carolina has a long and respected history of seeking justice for victims of crime, in the past year, my office has taken an even deeper look into the violence of organized crime and drug gangs. As such, we have sought and received some of the harshest sentences of any U.S. Attorney’s Office in the country. Be it in jail or on the outside, organized crime organizations in South Carolina will be sought out as aggressively as the law allows.”

“This was a complex, multi-jurisdictional investigation aimed at taking down an alleged criminal operation of historic reach in our states,” said Special Agent in Charge Vince Pallozzi of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) Charlotte Field Division. “The brazen criminal acts charged fueled gun violence and drug trafficking in numerous counties and cities. To shut down this alleged operation is a major win for public safety in South Carolina.”

“This alleged vast and brazen criminal enterprise only could have been dismantled by a united and dedicated team of law enforcement officers from across this state,” said Special Agent in Charge Susan Ferensic of the FBI’s Columbia Field Office. “The FBI is proud to be part of that team. We will see this investigation through and will remain vigilant to identify and arrest all those who try to destroy our communities through violence and drug trafficking.”

The case began in July 2017 as an investigation by a number of agencies, including ATF, the Lexington County Multi-Agency Narcotics Enforcement Team, and the Eleventh Circuit Solicitor’s Office, into methamphetamine trafficking and the illegal sale of firearms. As the investigation grew, the evidence led law enforcement to focus on the Insane Gangster Disciples (IGD), a branch of the nationwide gang Folk Nation.

According to the indictment, several IGD members ran a drug empire from SCDC with the use of contraband cellphones, assistance from individuals outside of prison, and other means. Further, the indictment alleges that several incarcerated IGD members ordered violent retaliatory measures against those they believed were providing information to law enforcement and against individuals they believed had stolen drug proceeds or owed money to the gang. It is alleged these violent acts, to include murder and kidnapping, were often carried out by IGD members outside the jails. Additionally, the 101-page indictment alleges that to perpetuate the enterprise and to maintain and extend its power, members and associates of the gang committed, attempted to commit, and conspired to commit, additional acts such as armed robbery, extortion, arson, assault and battery, drug trafficking, money laundering, and obstruction of justice.

The following defendants have been charged in the indictment for conduct related to their alleged roles in the RICO conspiracy and related crimes:

  • Matthew J. Ward, aka “Bones,” 36 Rebecca Martinez, 33 Cynthia Rooks, 52 Richard Ford, 62 Amber Hoffman, 26 Samuel Dexter Judy, 29 Montana Barefoot, 25 Benjamin Singleton, 46 Kayla Mattoni, 38 Alexia Youngblood, 38 Clifford Kyzer, 35 Mark Edward Slusher, 46 Aaron Michael Carrion, aka “Cap G,” 28 and Crystal Nicole Bright, 40, all of Lexington, South Carolina
  • Lisa Marie Costello, 43 Aaron Corey Sprouse, 29 James Robert Peterson, aka “Man Man,” 32 Catherine Amanda Ross, 28 Brandon Lee Phillips, aka “Lil B,” 36 Billy Wayne Ruppe, 55 and Windy Brooke George, 21, all of Gaffney, South Carolina
  • Arian Grace Jeane, 26 Heather Henderson Orrick, 33 Joshua Lee Scott Brown, 23 Alex Blake Payne, 28 Sally Williams Burgess, aka “Cricket,” 37 and Edward Gary Akridge, aka “G9,” “G9 the Don,” and “Eddie Boss,” 28, all of Greenville, South Carolina
  • John Johnson, 36, of Gaston, South Carolina
  • Kelly Still, 43, of Windsor, South Carolina
  • Kelly Jordan, 34, of Williamston, South Carolina
  • Robert Figueroa, 43, and Brian Bruce, 48, of West Columbia, South Carolina
  • Tiffanie Brooks, 36, of Columbia, South Carolina
  • Juan Rodriguez, aka “Fat Boy,” 40, of Woodruff, South Carolina
  • Jonathan Eugene Merchant, aka “Merck,” 27, of Laurens, South Carolina
  • Jennifer Sorgee, 36, of Easley, South Carolina
  • Brittney Shae Stephens, 32, of Anderson, South Carolina
  • Matthew Edward Clark, 41, of York, South Carolina
  • Virginia Ruth Ryall, 43, of Gastonia, North Carolina, and,
  • Lisa Marie Bolton, 32, of Dallas, North Carolina.

Of these defendants, Ward, Peterson, Akridge, and Rodriguez were serving sentences in SCDC at the time the alleged crimes were committed.

In connection with the investigation, agents seized more than 40 kilograms of methamphetamine, more than 130 firearms, and various quantities of heroin and fentanyl.

An indictment merely contains allegations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

The case was investigated by the ATF, FBI, Lexington County Sheriff’s Department, Lexington County Multi-Agency Narcotics Enforcement Team, SCDC, Greenville County Sheriff’s Office, Anderson County Sheriff’s Office, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office, Laurens County Sheriff’s Office, and Richland County Sheriff’s Department. The South Carolina Attorney General’s Office, Fifth Circuit Solicitor’s Office, Eighth Circuit Solicitor’s Office, Eleventh Circuit Solicitor’s Office, and Thirteenth Circuit Solicitor’s Office also assisted with the case.

Trial Attorney Lisa Man and Principal Deputy Kim Dammers with the Criminal Division’s Organized Crime and Gang Section, Assistant U.S. Attorneys Justin Holloway and Brandi Hinton of the District of South Carolina, and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Casey Rankin with the Eleventh Circuit Solicitor’s Office are prosecuting the case.

This case is being prosecuted as part of the joint federal, state, and local Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), the centerpiece of the Department of Justice’s violent crime reduction efforts. PSN is an evidence-based program proven to be effective at reducing violent crime. Through PSN, a broad spectrum of stakeholders work together to identify the most pressing violent crime problems in the community and develop comprehensive solutions to address them. As part of this strategy, PSN focuses enforcement efforts on the most violent offenders and partners with locally based prevention and reentry programs for lasting reductions in crime.

Watch the video: Interview with artist Alice Kell May 2012 (November 2021).